Should Children Have a TV in Their Bedroom?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Riley Seward, Writer

I strongly believe that children should not have TVs in their bedrooms. Children with TVs in their bedrooms may start to eat more food and gain weight, they may also start to have smoking problems, and began to do poor in school.   

When children have TVs in their room they start to have a higher body mass index (BMI),according to Jessica Kelmon, who wrote “Is there a TV in your child’s bedroom?” she said,Two years in, kids with TVs in their rooms reported higher BMIs. After two more years, their BMIs had grown again. What’s particularly noteworthy is that obesity isn’t linked to the hours of TV being watched. It’s to the presence of the TV in their room”.This maybe, because of the junk food ads children see on TV and maybe because they don’t do any physical sports to keep them healthy . Some children might also have sleeping problems because of the light that emits from the TV, tricking their eyes that there is still daylight.

Middle-school students, ages 12-14, may have twice the chance of smoking, if they have a TV in their bedroom, even after controlling for such risk factors as having a parent or friend who smokes, or low parental engagement, this is stated in “A One-Eyed Invader in the Bedroom”, by Nyetimes. People also start to spend more money due to the amount of TV that is being watched. This is because most people think its ads that are persuading adults and children to spend more money the more TV their watching,but I honestly think middle-school students, with TVs in their room, start to have smoking problems because they watch a show that may include something with smoking or something they like about the person(who is smoking).

Children with TVs in their bedrooms start to have lower scores on test, such as language arts, math, science, social studies, and so on.  Children with TVs in their rooms usually don’t read as much as they’re supposed to, and apparently children with computers in their rooms have higher test scores than children with TVs in their room, this is called “A One-Eyed Invader in the Bedroom”. Why? Maybe it’s because a TV is a lot bigger and it is easier for people to watch from a far away place, so it causes them to get distracted during homework time or any time their supposed to be doing something.

In conclusion, children should not have TVs in their bedroom because it causes health problems and interferes with school. Hopefully this has persuaded adults that there should be no TVs in their children’s room and  children with TVs in their rooms have decided to take them out.

Sites Used:

https://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/effects-of-tv-in-children-bedroom/

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/04well.html